Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Peterson System Pipe


I told you this blog was going to take a drastic turn. But, a pipe! Seriously? No, I am not your grandpa, and the pipe has seriously fallen out of fashion, especially when compared to cigars. So, I will take a few minutes to explain the pipe in general, before I take about this specific one.



I have never been a tobacco addict. Other than trying a handful of cigarrettes when I was a teenager, I have never smoked. I am athletic, in shape, and do a lot of physical activities that don’t go along well with cigarette smoking. But cigars and pipes you don’t inhale and are theoretically better on your lungs. Now, I am not here to convince you that smoking is safe, or there are no ill side effects. Even if it doesn’t go into your lungs, there are risks at some level. There are also risks in your house, and every time you leave the door :) Sometimes you have to just live, and for me, I have determined that the amount of pleasure that has been brought to me through pipe smoking is worth the risk. I also ride a motorcycle, and that has to be far more dangerous than decades of pipe smoking :) Everyone has to make their own choice on their own comfort level.

I tried the pipe more than a decade ago. I never got very far with it, but I knew I had an attraction to it for it even then. I have tried cigars now and then. Honestly, most cigar smoking on my part was to get the rankest, nastiest cigar I could, for as little money as possible, to keep a smoke cloud around my head while spending time in the bug infested time of the season outdoors. I tried to up my standards in the cigar world, and quickly found it too expensive. The cost of a good cigar was huge. Buying them in bulk was just too complicated for me. Humidor, humidity level, storage conditions, etc. At the rate I smoked (barely), by the time I got around to my bulk purchased stuff, I am sure with would have been miserable. Besides, I didn’t really enjoy it that much anyway.

After many years of nothing at all, I came back around to the pipe. The first reason really had nothing to do with tobacco at all. The truth is, that I am a go, go, go type of person. I don’t feel like I am doing anything unless I am getting something accomplished, or producing something tangible. As long as my body is going, my mind isn’t stopping either. For many reasons in my life, I need to take the time out to think about what is going on, especially with me. If I am constantly on the go, my mind is not in the mood for slowing either. If I just sit still, doing “nothing” drives me nuts. But, sitting down, and having a smoke, is an excellent way to take a break, in my opinion.

The thing about pipe smoking is that it can not be rushed. I think that reason alone is probably why it has always appealed to the older rather than younger crowd. If you try to rush it, you will be harshly punished. Tobacco that is smoked too hot generates steam and creates lots of unpleasant things in your mouth. If you are going to do it, you are almost forced to relax, slow down, or be punished :)

Once you get that far, it is really easy to get hooked. Cigarrettes are generally about a quick nicotine fix. Pipe smoking is more about taste (although the nicotine is there!). Pipe tobacco is really different and the amount of blends, types and even flavors that it comes in can be overwhelming even to an experienced smoker. Since you are after the experience of taste, it almost becomes a hobby finding what the different tobacco types are (Virginia, Burley, Cavendish, Perique, Latakia, just to name a few) and what they each taste like. How different blending leads to an entirely different smoke. Then, there are the pipes. Everything from cheap corn cobs at the drug store, to hand made custom pieces costing more than I make in a month. Collecting, not smoking, can be a hobby for many. But, if you are going to smoke one, you may tell yourself when starting that one will be enough, but you will end up with at least a few :)

In quick summary (a little late for that), the pipe brings me many joys. From finding an extremely tasty blend, the fondness of my pipes, the relaxed state I must enter to be able to smoke one correctly, the change of pace it provides in the day, and let’s be honest….the nicotine can be nice. If you ever hear a pipe smoker say the phrase “one of those smokes” what they are talking about is that every so often everything seems perfect. The setting, the tobacco, the pipe, the way it is smoked (slow and relaxed) all comes together for “one of those smokes.” It doesn’t happen every single time and much of the quest in pipe smoking is hoping that the next time you light up, it will be “one of those smokes.”

That is enough about smoking itself. There are many other websites, blogs and forums that are dedicated to the nuts and bolts of it. If you are even remotely interested, one good place to start in www.smokingpipetobacco.com.

On to what this post is supposed to be about. The Peterson 314 System Pipe. 

Let me explain a bit about this pipe, and then I will tell you why I picked this particular one out of my stable.
Peterson is the manufacturer, and is an Irish company with a very long history in pipe making. The “system” part of the name refers to a patented design by Peterson. Only a certain line of pipes by Peterson are “system” pipes and they are not hard to find. Basically, the have a chamber drilled into them that is supposed to trap moisture and reduce draw at the bowl to result in less moisture being generated in the first place. If you look at this cut-away picture, you can see what I mean.



The result is supposed to be a cooler, dryer, smoother smoke. 

314 refers to the shape of the pipe (http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/system-shape-chart.html). Many manufacturers refer to their shapes by numbers and Peterson is no different. If you look at the shape chart I am sure you will find some that are way more attractive to you than the others. At the same time, you can easily see why you end up with multiple pipes :) Keep in mind this is Peterson’s “System” shape chart and they have other shape charts for their other pipe ranges too. This is not all they offer.


I certainly love this pipe. But, it is probably not my absolute favorite in my rack. So, why did I pick it to be the star among the others? Because I figure if you are an experienced pipe smoker you are already going to know what you like and don’t like and will not be a stranger to Peterson system pipes. I also figure that most of you have never used a pipe and on the off chance you might want to give it a try, this is one of the most forgiving and versatile pipes available.

By forgiving, I mean that the “system” does help to reduce draw, which is necessary for a good smoke. So, this one will get you going better than most right of the bat, in my opinion. Next, is the mount. It is what is typically referred to as an army mount. Of all the “wrong” things that a beginner can do during a smoke, one of them is to take your pipe apart. Generally the stem fits into the pipe different than this one, and there is swelling due to heat and moisture. It is best to let the thing cool before you take it apart.  While it still may not be the most advised thing to do, I have taken apart the army mount many times mid-smoke without an issue. I dare say that it was intended to do that. Even so, the taper on stem and with the friction mount, it seems that this is one of the most durable, least able to damage, most likely to last forever type of mount that I know of. 

Finally, the reason I pick this pipe is because it is so darn reliable. I can always count on it to be smooth, I don’t worry about it’s durability, and I would take it just about everywhere with me (I can’t say that about all my pipes). To be honest, I borderline abuse this pipe, just because I am not afraid of anything that I can do to it. Even if I had a high dollar custom piece sitting in my rack, it is my nature to appreciate what I use most as compared to what is sitting around looking pretty. For most used, I definitely have to give this pipe the highest marks.


No comments:

Post a Comment